Thursday, May 21, 2009

May 21, 2009 1st chemo treatment

Well, today was the big day. I had my first chemo treatment this morning at 9am, all in all I didn't think it took very long. We were out of there shortly after 1pm. When I got there, they did the usual weigh in and vital check, then we went to the treatment room. Mary was my nurse today, she was great (actually all the nurses are great! There are three clinical nurses and they have all been extremely friendly and very efficient). We sat down and she explained to me what we were going to do today and asked if I had any questions. Then she accessed my port. Chad made fun of me because I turned my head and had a real sour look on my face getting prepared for the stick, but it didn't really hurt any worse than getting your blood drawn. After the needle was in I relaxed and it was smooth sailing from there. My port works great, and she got a return of blood immediately. From that point she drew my blood and took it to the lab to be tested, that only took about 20 minutes. Then she hooked up my pre-meds (I was given medicines for nausea, anxiety and a steroid) that took about 30-45 minutes. After all the pre-meds were in she started the chemo, I got the Cytoxan first, then the Taxotere (the second drug ran for 2 hours, which is longer than normal to make sure I didn't have any reactions to it, I didn't), then after it was all complete they ran some saline through and filled the port with Heparin. Good to go! Actually, I don't feel that bad at all, I'm a little tired from the Ativan, but other than that I shouldn't have the hard core symptoms kick in til Friday night or Saturday (Saturday is a bummer because it's Chad's birthday). They said I would feel bad for at least a week, and my blood count will plummet between 7-10 days (I may have to wear a mask during this time if I'm at work). They also said that my hair will fall out between 2-3 weeks. This won't be a problem because Thursday Mom and I want to the American Cancer Society and picked out a wig, than I went to the Norton Cancer Resource Center and picked out a second wig - and they were both FREE! They also gave me some hats too. So, I feel prepared for when my hair falls out, I don't think it will really bother me emotionally.
I think my plan of keeping busy til the big day worked again. Last weekend we were in Gatlinburg, then on Tuesday I went to my first Young Survivors event. It was alot of fun, we had dinner at Buca di Beppo. It was unlike your normal 'support group' (which I imagine people sitting in a circle like an AA meeting talking about all the bad things that we were going through and felling sorry for ourselves) but actually was really fun and enjoyable, I'm already looking forward to next months event. Basically there were about 20 women all under the age of 40 diagnosed at various ages, and we just ate dinner and chit chatted at out leisure. No pressure, if you didn't want to talk cancer you didn't have to, if you wanted to compare doctors or treatments or side effects you could. I really feel like I met alot of great women who I think could grow into wonderful friendships. On Wednesday my employers took the office to On the Border for drinks and dinner. That was alot of fun too! I really like everyone that I work with and feel blessed that we are able to hang out and enjoy each other company. We sat and chatted for a few hours and then everyone gave me there best wishes for 'the big day'. My office manager and her family even gave me a pot of flowers that were so colorful and pretty. Having things like that around really help my mood. I feel like it brings life and something joyful to look at and care for (plus I'm really happy they were in a pot because I don't have a green thumb, and even though I would love to garden I'm afraid I would kill everything, so I feel like this give me better odds).
So now we wait....I think that is the hardest part. I know that it's coming, but I don't know how bad it will be, how long it will last, everyone is different. But maybe after I get one under my belt it will be easier, or maybe I will make it harder, who knows. All I know is that this is not a disease for neurotic people who obsess about everything being planned to a T (that would be me by the way). Thank you everyone for all you thoughtful cards and support, the phone calls and text. It makes me smile and feel like I'm not alone. I feel blessed and ready to move on.
The pictures are of treatment today.

No comments:

Post a Comment