Wednesday, June 24, 2009

June 24, 2009

It was nice to sleep in this morning. Today was the Young Survivors lunch so I didn't go into work until after lunch, leaving time to hang out in bed a few extra hours. Lunch was great, we ate at Ramsi's Cafe on the World. It was the first time I had been to that restaurant, and the food was very yummy (I got the fish tacos). I really enjoy seeing all the girls. We all seem to hit it off every time we get together, and I enjoy being able to socialize with women that are going through the same things that I am. I hope that this group will provide more opportunities for me to be an advocate for young women diagnosed with breast cancer, or any cancer for that matter. I feel like I am called to bring attention to fertility issues that exist for young women after diagnosis, whether it be financial assistance, or resources, mainly due to the fact that after my diagnosis I felt helpless with no direction or support in this department. Just the other day it occurred to me how lucky I was that I was married and had a partner to help me make decisions regarding my fertility. We were advised to have my eggs fertilized before freezing them. Freezing eggs is still experimental and less successful, and most places will not freeze eggs. Without a husband or partner I would have been unable to store any embryos. I know that there are other alternatives, such as adoption, surrogacy, or donation but some women, like myself want to experience pregnancy and child birth. I feel like not having the option robs me of the opportunity, and I refuse to let cancer do that. I am going to take from cancer, cancer is not going to take away from me (and I have already taken so much...friends, lessons, blessings, strength). I'm open to suggestions on how to expand and improve my mission. This is just the beginning, I hope to touch countless womens lives, and give them HOPE and options.
I had a good day today, and I know I'm blessed that I can say that! Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment