Saturday, August 15, 2009

August 15, 2009

Well, another week in the books. I hate wishing time away, but I'm ready for a new chapter in my life. This past Monday I worked 10 hours, yup, you heard me! So much for slowing down this week and trying to rest my worn out body. You would think that since I worked so hard that I would sleep like a rock, but this week had some other surprises up its sleeve. Monday night I tossed all night. My neck was stiff and I was achy. I even got up in the middle of the night to switch out my pillow because I thought I was sleeping wrong. When I got to work Tuesday I felt more run down than normal and was still very achy (more so than my normal pain and aches I've been having with chemo). I would have never thought to swab myself for the flu, except that one of the girls I work with tested positive the day before. So, I swabbed myself and sure enough...I HAVE THE FLU.....IN AUGUST!!! What's up with that. It's one thing to have the flu, but it's summer, it's unnatural to have the flu this time of year, and may I say very inconvenient to have the flu while your trying to survive chemo. Work sent me home and I laided around all day Tuesday and Wednesday (much needed rest!). I must say that if your gonna get the flu, this may be the year to get it. It was quite mild as far as the flu goes, however it isn't fun when your already run down from chemo and didn't feel good in the first place.
Thursday was chemo day. Let me tell you, it took alot of sweet talking to get my treatment this week since I have the flu, but my counts were acceptable so they let me proceed with much caution. Who would of thought I would be begging to get my chemo!!! There were a few reasons behind my madness. One of which is that my mother and I were contacted my WHAS and Rachel Platt to do a story about our family and cancer. They wanted to video me getting chemo this week as part of the piece (they are going to finish shooting at my house on Tuesday). Plus next weekend my parents are taking me to Tennessee for a short vacation at a lake, and I knew if I got chemo next week it would have ruined those plans. I'm ready for a break :-)
My chemo symptoms are different yet again this time around. Last week I saw my gastroenterologist for a follow up and told him about my awful sore throat that I get after my treatments. He gave me a script for Carafate solution and so far it has helped. Only problems is, now I have overwhelming nausea this time. I've already had to break out the Zofran. Other than the nausea, taste, headache and fatigue this time is going pretty well, but I hate to speak too soon. ONLY ONE MORE TO GO!!!
The only other thing worth noting about my treatment is that I've had a rapid heartrate for the past 3 weeks. Every time I check it, it ranges from 100-130 beats a minute. It is starting to wear me out and from time to time I get a little short of breath. So far we haven't been able to put our finger on why it's so fast, but we have been able to rule out some of the more serious causes, so that makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment