Friday, November 20, 2009

November 20, 2009

I promise, I haven't abandoned the blog. There hasn't been too much to remark about concerning the "cancer world". I had a follow up with my Plastic Surgeon a week after surgery and everything is looking great. I healed really fast compared to the other surgeries. I'm due to go back in another week or two, but for the most part I was released to do whatever I wanted. Unfortunately it looks like I will probably have to have one or two more surgeries to finish the reconstruction, but they won't be any worse than the one I just had. I am planning on scheduling the next surgery next spring. I've been trying to incorporate exercise back in my life (I can definitely tell a HUGE decrease in my strength and cardiovascular endurance). I've been to spin class a few times and doing some strength exercises at home. I'm really looking forward to getting back out on my bike next spring and I plan on doing a least 2 triathlons next year.
I also met with my oncologist a week after surgery. She started me on Tamoxifen and so far I would say we have a HATE/HATE relationship. The Tamoxifen is a hormone blocker that decreases the cancers ability to thrive on the estrogen in my body. The idea is to suppress the estrogen. Without going into more details than some reader may want, basically it's rocking my female world. Hot flashes accompanied with severe nausea, insomnia, and extreme emotional...I don't even know what you would call it! I just feel down. I'm hoping that this is a transitional phase and in a few months things will get better (otherwise, Lord help us all! It's going to be a LONG 5 years!) I don't have to go back to the oncologist for 2 more months. It's nice to have a break form all the appointments for a change!
As usual, I've been very busy. I hate sitting around the house. Chad and I have been trying to enjoy the beautiful weather while it's still around. The past few weekends we have gone out driving and visited a few wineries.
Just trying to take it one day at a time. I think finding yourself after treament is BY FAR the hardest part. I've definately been doing alot of soul searching.

2 comments:

  1. How are you doing now on the Tamoxifen. I start my 5 year dose tomorrow. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many women struggle with finding themselves after treatment--it's an issue that needs to be discussed further. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete